What is infection prevention and control?
• IPC includes all practices used to identify and reduce the risk of infections developing and spreading
• IPC is fundamental to health care quality improvement.
• It is required in preparation for any emerging diseases
• It’s the basic right for our patients/clients and healthcare workers
The cycle of infection
Preventing the spread of infections
- Require removing one or more of the conditions necessary for transmission of the disease.
- Decontamination– Inhibiting or killing the agent
- Use PPE- Blocking the agents means of getting from an infected person to a susceptible host