Department of Internal medicine
This department is among the major departments in the Hospital. In the department there are units namely Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, Neurology and Pulmonology. Over fifty percent of admissions and outpatient services in the Hospital come from the department of Internal Medicine.
The Internal Medicine department provides inpatient and outpatient care as well as interdepartmental consultation. In the inpatient care we conduct two major wards round in a week that is Monday and Thursday but also daily service wards round. The major wards round commences at 9.00 AM mainly for patients care but also for education purpose for junior medical practitioners and residents. The major rounds are operated under supervision of all medical superspecialists and specialist in the ward or unit. During the ward round existing plans are reviewed and approved or new plans are set for the better care of the patients.
The outpatient services are conducted by doctors in the department including Resident doctors and Registrars under supervision of specialist. The clinics days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday starting at 9.00AM to 3.00 PM. New patients are seen first at general OPD and appointment plan is made in case there is need of follow up or discharged if their treatments are completed. For the follow up patients the appointment cards are given and being appointed dates for follow up in the specific clinic.
In collaboration with the University of Dodoma in the college of Health sciences, the Hospital offers excellent training to Residents and undergraduate students. The educational mission of the Department and the Hospital at large is to impact knowledge and skills and mentor students for future leadership in the Hospital and the country.
Internal medicine department provides research opportunities for trainees interested in a career in academic medicine and clinical medicine. In collaboration with the University of Dodoma in the college of Health and the Directorate of Research the staffs and students are encouraged to conduct researches.
The Hospital at its full operation is expected to provide Rehabilitation services. The department will provide comprehensive Physiotherapy and Occupational. There are wide range of conditions for both inpatients and outpatients.
The Core Functions of the Department.
- Consultations for patients with functional disabilities.
- Physical assessments including assessment in muscle strength, joints range of motion analysis, ambulation, neuro – musculoskeletal level, cognitive abilities, work skills, leisure activities, and the ability to carry out the activities of daily living.
- Treatments designed to restore / improve functions, prevent disability or its progression, relieving pain, provide adaptive equipment, ambulation aids, and education about disability.
- Research and research support, independent or collaboration with other institutions.
- Special programs of the patients with developmental, congenital disorders and sportsmen.
- Counseling e.g. on acceptance of acquired new body image, condition etc.
To improve our patients’ level of independence and quality of life of persons who have functional disabilities resulting from illness, injury or congenital abnormalities.